Using Gu Sha/scraping on your face is not meant to cause bruising. Rather, the scraper is used much less aggressively over the facial curvatures in an attempt to bring new blood to the surface and promote lymphatic drainage. Gu Sha relaxes tension in facial muscles which can cause lines. It’s kind of like exercise for your face — with regular use, Gua Sha can tone skin and promote increased skin elasticity.
Benefits of Facial Gua Sha/Scraping
Gua Sha/scraping for the face and neck is called the Eastern Botox (or Eastern Facelift) for a reason. This TCM (or Traditional Chinese medicine) treatment, when applied to the face, has the following effects:
1. Firms up your sagging facial muscles
2. Smoothens the skin and reduces the appearance of wrinkles on your face
3. Improves dark circles and bags under the eyes (the kind you get from advancing age)
4. Lightens age spots and other skin discoloration.
5. Your complexion gets rosier and more radiant
6. Helps clear up acne, rosacea, and other skin diseases on your face
Facial Gua Sha is much much milder but has the same scraping action along the skin. As the skin is scraped, the layers of the skin are stimulated. Stagnant lymphthat causes puffiness is moved and cleared out of the system. Toxins are also released resulting in a clearer complexion. And finally, the massaging action relaxes tense muscles from which wrinkles are born. It’s a win-win-win scenario.